Monday, November 28, 2011

THE COP WHO STOPPED ME!

I had been in CA at 'the Slabs' camping for over 2 weeks, then returned to Texas in my RV and Jeep toad, arrived home in Texas at my house, parked the RV & Jeep, and jumped into my Yukon Denali to run a fast errand to get groceries for my 'stick home'.
 
While I was gone on vacation, the end of October had arrived and left my Denali with an out-of-date inspection sticker.

The officer stopped me, and I immediately knew 'why', as I quickly scanned my brain for a probably cause.  Then, I glanced at the sticker and realized why.

The officer approached my window, I rolled it down, and he asked for my D.L.   I told him, "My DL and my Concealed Carry License are in my billfold, in my purse, just inside the back window where I sat my purse when I loaded in the groceries.  There is also a Lady Smith in each of the 2 end pockets of my purse."

He asked me to step out of the car.  I did.  I had my keys in my hand, so I hit the button on my remote that unlocked the back window.   He reached in and took out my purse, handed me my billfold, then I took my DL and CCL licenses to him, and he placed both licenses on the hood of his patrol car, which was 'dotted with water from recent rains'.   Then, he reached into each end of my purse, and pulled out both guns still in their zippered pouches.

He asked me 'why I was carrying 2 guns'.     I told him I had just driven back into town, and switched vehicles, and I had removed both of the guns from the RV (one by my bed, one under the driver seat) and transferred them to my purse so I could change vehicles in my driveway.

He proceeded to remove each revolver from it's pouch, and one-at-a-time, he opened the barrel and shook the ammo out into the pouches, laying each revolver on the partially wet hood of his patrol car. 

He then got on his radio again and called in the serial numbers on each of my guns.   THEN, he turned around to me and said, "Neither one of your guns are stolen."   HUH?? I told him I already knew 'that' because I had bought them myself.  ROFLOL
 
Meanwhile, two other patrol cars had arrived, since he had announced on his radio that he had "stopped a yet unidentified female in possession of multiple weapons"!!
 
He then wrote me a 'warning ticket', and left.  

I just wonder if he had ever met a woman with a gun before.  

Had he noticed the sticker on my rear window that said I had donated to my local law enforcement agency? 
Did he not see that I had a clear driving record? Hmmm.   
Didn't he have anything better to do, after he knew that I had a license proving that I had no criminal history, that my finger prints were on file, and that I had been licensed to carry snce permits were first issued?
     
I really didn't feel 'good' about my experience, and I felt like I was being required to go through an extended examination when the officer could have been putting his time to better use!!

I'm VERY uncomfortable with his possible motives, since it definitely wasn't my 'looks' because I had not taken any special care with hair, make-up, or clothing, and I was old enough to be his grandmother!
 
It's the very 1st time I have felt like an officer might have resented that I could carry a gun(s) just like he could.   Just my humble opinion!

I haven't dismissed the option of checking with the chief of police here to see if what happened was SOP or if it was 'beyond' reasonable expectations! 

Becky

2 comments:

  1. You had a very good experience, I know "Safety" is at the top of the officers list. He probably pulled you over intending to give you a warning on the expired sticker, but that got bumped out by his own safety. He treated the guns no different than he would treat his own, okay, so maybe he doesn't treat his own guns that well.. While the NCIC check on your guns were being performed, he also ran your drivers license, checked the validity of your CCW permit, checked for wants and warrants, and knows if and how many citations you have received. That and your attitude played a part in his deciding to issue a warning cite. Since you were in Texas, I'm sure he has met many woman with guns, more than you I'm sure.. and I can't believe he turned his back on you, after just taking two guns off you, we all realize you could have had a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of all I resented him laying my guns on the hood of his patrol car that was damp with drops of water from recent rains.

    I've been stopped before, ..... but always by more reserved officers, who weren't quite as aggressive about my guns.

    I think the only lesson I learned was to not take any guns 'on the road' that I didn't buy or win legitimately. The rest are better left in the safe, or bedside table! :-)

    He was quite a young guy, possibly new, and maybe trying to be a bit 'overly competent', ..... but I felt a little weird 'feeling' that he was taking it all a bit too far.

    Thanks so much for reading my blog!! YEAH! I will try and keep improving :-) Becky

    ReplyDelete